(1) Clinical Simulation Administration:
Clinical Simulation Administration aims to become a regional center of excellence for interdisciplinary fields of medical education and risk management that based on clinical simulation. The goals are to achieve excellence in the quality of clinical services provided to the patient, enhance patient safety and improve healthcare outcomes.
Clinical Simulation Administration is an essential support to the mission of King Abdullah Medical City in terms of providing the highest level of care to patients using Simulation Center in medical education and assess the efficiency of health care providers before getting in contact with patient. Several studies have demonstrated the role of Simulation Center in improving the performance of trainees that reflected positively on the quality of service provided and patient safety.Programs offered by Clinical Simulation Administration:
1. Advanced Cardiac Life Support
2. Pediatric Advanced Life Support
3. Difficult Airway Management
4. Patient's Clinical Evaluation
5. Training to use emergency vehicle and give electric shocks
6. First aid for non-healthcare providersAchievements:
CPR center in Clinical Simulation Administration is recognized as:
1. An International Center, following the American Heart Association, which hold training courses for trainees and trainers as well.
2. An international Center, following American College of Surgeons, which hold all Traumatology courses for doctors, nurses and paramedics.
3. Meetings and visits were exchanged with Royal College of physicians and Surgeons of Canada in preparation for academic cooperation between Royal College and King Abdullah Medical City.
4. Coordination is done with different departments in the hospital to conduct some courses and workshops for doctors, nurses and technicians that were accredited by the Saudi Commission to enhance the healthcare level and achieve the strategic plans of King Abdullah Medical City.
5. It was agreed with the projects of King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz (Holy Mosque Expansion) in partnership with the Ministry of Higher Education and Umm-Al Qura University to give CPR and First Aid training courses to non-medical staff. Initially, 180 workers (supervisors and engineers) have been trained.
6. The initiative entitled (Mos’ef Al Haram) had been activated to conduct free (no fees) CPR and First Aid courses for pilgrims.(2) Administrative Training Administration
Administrative Training Administration aims to upgrade the skills of the employees of King Abdullah medical City with a focus on administrative staff by offering a variety of training activities through three different departments:
1. Computer Training Department: offers computer basics training services, administrative systems and health systems training coordination.
2. Language Training Department: provides Arabic language courses for non-native speakers to improve communication between healthcare providers and recipients. It also offers English courses (all levels from beginner to advance) in addition to TOEFL and IELTS preparation courses. Moreover, it conducts Employees’ English Proficiency Test.
3. Administrative Development Department : Raise the level of administrative and leadership skills through some courses in basic and advanced administrative skills.Achievements:
1. Start conducting a course entitled (International Leadership Management) that consists of four phases for a year. The target group is executives, directors and heads. The first phase had been done successfully for 80 heads of different departments.
2. A considerable number of courses had been conducted to raise the level of management and leadership skills.(3) Postgraduate and Scholarship Administration:
It consists of two departments. First, scholarship department that contains two units; internal and external. Second, postgraduate department. This administration aims to fulfill KAMC and national needs of technical and medical manpower according to KAMC strategic plans.
The department also aims through postgraduate programs to expand and vary in the basic programs, develop competencies according to quality standards, encourage creativity and innovation, and keep pace with scientific and technical development to achieve KAMC objectives and meet the needs of society.Services offered by Postgraduate and Scholarship Administration:
Planning and studying to identify the actual needs of manpower in KAMC for scholarships and training.
Develop medical learning programs within KAMC in accordance with external programs including fellowships and others.
Follow up the academic performance of the scholarship students with their bureaus and training centers within and outside Saudi Arabia.
Coordinate with the concerned departments to finalize the nomination requirements and take into account their conformity to policy and regulations.
Follow up trainees who involve in professional medical education program.
Follow up the applying of accreditation standards for professional medical education programs by local and international accreditation commissions, such as the Saudi Commission for Health Specialties and International Joint Commission of hospital accreditation.Achievements:
The following specialties are recognized as training center for Residency Program in SCFHS: Internal Medicine, Radiology, Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Neurology, ENT, Microbiology, Surgical and Oncology.
Policy and procedures had been approved from the CEO of KAMC.
19 residents have been accepted in Residency Program.
Done with a five year plan for Scholarship Department in KAMC.
Recruit some scholarship students in medical specialties from the Ministry of Higher Education.
Coordinate with the Ministry of Higher Education to have a username in the Ministry website to follow up KAMC scholarship students.
Conduct a meeting for all Academic Affairs Executives in all medical cities.
Participate in America’s Career Day and recruit some of the qualified graduates.
Conduct a meeting for the committee of unifying policy and procedures and training and scholarship policy among all medical cities.
Present a lecture entitled (Guiding Residents for Training Abroad) in 2012 and the Executive Administration of Academic Affairs and Training is planning to present it again annually.(4) Health Training Administration:
Health Training Administration believes that training health specialized manpower (Saudis) is the cornerstone for providing health care and high-quality services for patients and customers. Actually, It supports the method of linking theoretical and clinical practice under the supervision of qualified and specialized supervisors to ensure the quality of the outputs.
Health Training Administration focuses on Medical Allied education and training, which includes several programs for specialists and technicians in several areas, such as Central Sterilization, Echocardiography specialist and Echocardiography Technician. The administration is also responsible for on job training programs, health college and university students training program and medical allied professional development programs.Achievements:
It is the first training center in the western region that issues high diploma certificates and it is accredited by the SCFHS. The specialties are as follows:
1. Oncology Nursing
2. Cardiology and Cardiovascular Nursing
3. ICU Nursing
4. Central Sterilization Diploma
5. Echocardiography Diploma
6. Clinical Research Diploma
7. Medical Coding Diploma
8. Respiratory Therapy Diploma
9. Blood Banking and Transfusion DiplomaCreate a training center for medical allied and provide the following programs:
Statistics:Number of BeneficiariesDiplomaNursing Diploma in Cardiovascular CareNursing Diploma in intensive care for adultsNursing Diploma in Oncology
(5) Continuous Medical Education Administration:
The Department of Continuing Medical Education (CME) aims to provide professional development programs for health care providers from doctors, nurses and allied health services through a wide range of programs and services offered through four departments: the Education Technology Department, the Medical Library Section, the Professional and Educational Development Section, Activities and services section provided by CME:
1. Assess the training needs of health care providers and design the overall annual training plan for King Abdullah Medical City and follow up on its implementation
2. Planning, coordinating and following up the series of major lectures tours.
3. Planning, coordinating and following up on local and regional conferences and seminars
4. Coordinating internal workshops at the level of the Ministry of Health and following up on their implementation.
5. Coordinating scientific leave for the medical staff of the city.
6. Obtaining academic credits for continuing vocational education programs and professional medical education programs.
7. Management of the Medical Library and Multimedia.
The achievements of the academic accreditation department:
1- A number of credits were obtained for the Saudi Board in a number of specializations (Radiology - Ear, Nose and Throat - Neurology - Anesthesiology and Intensive Care - Internal Medicine - General Surgery - Ophthalmology - Microbiology - Oncology - Orthopedics)
2- Obtain the accreditation of the fellowship in the field of cardiac anesthesia.
3- Obtain the accreditation of a number of conferences, such as:
- First International Conference on Nursing.
- International Conference on Oncology Center (Best of ASCO)
- First International Conference of King Abdullah Medical City for Research.
The Achievements of Organizing Events and Conferences department:
1- The International Conference of the Oncology Center (Best of ASCO) was successfully organized at the Intercontinental Hotel in Jeddah, which lasted for three days, attended by over 400 persons and 35 speakers from various countries such as America, Britain, Canada, Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.The Achievements of Medical Library:
1. Participating with the Saudi Digital Library to activate the electronic library, which contains many books and periodicals, and various modern sources of information.
2. Providing Internet service in the library for researchers and scholars.
3. Designing and printing brochures and records for the library.
4. Downloading XELERA on some devices at the request of the beneficiaries of doctors.
5. Expanding opening hours for the library longer to reach 12 hours a day without a break time.
6. Meeting with representatives of publishers and representatives of information companies.(6) Health Promotion Administration:
The Department of Health Awareness and Education was launched in King Abdullah Medical City on 01/01/1434 AH to provide all awareness and educational services to patients, their families and the Makkah community to raise the health awareness of the target groups in terms of prevention and treatment through direct communication and health education. The educational work during the World Health Days is in harmony with the vision and mission of King Abdullah Medical City.
The Department provides its services through three sections: the Public Education Department, which is concerned with community and school education, the Department of Patient and Family Education, which provides health education for inpatient and outpatient patients, and the Education Content Audit Section, which manages the content of education in its visual, electronic, radio and print media.
There is also a direct coordination with school health to provide students with health awareness.
The Department of Health Awareness and Education reviews and audits all publications issued by different departments in order to prevent repetition and ensure the information contained therein.